Formula 1 – 2006 German Grand Prix Qualifying
The race to become the king of Formula 1 is heating up. Michael Schumacher has recently closed the gap on defending champion Fernando Alonso. This week the title race has reached Schumacher’s home base in Hokenhien for the 2006 German Grand Prix.
Schumacher did not disappoint the home crowd by securing second place in qualifying, well ahead of title contender Alonso who will start from seventh on the grid tomorrow.
Revival of Raikkonen
The Finnish driver has had a disappointing 2006 so far after an unhappy 2005 when his car failed him time and again. Today in qualifying, he and the McLaren-Mercedes team came to a close and secured pole position. This is the Finnish driver’s ninth career pole position and a welcome relief for engine supplier Mercedes in his home race.
Two Scarlets who are left behind
The two Ferraris of Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa trailed behind Raikkonen, finishing second and third respectively. This offers Michael Schumacher the chance to close the gap in the title race.
The year started with a lot of fanfare for Honda as they materialized the Coup by signing Barrichello and some exciting times in the stages. It’s been a one-way street for Honda ever since. German qualifying sparked hopes in the Honda camp as both drivers finished in the top six on the grid.
Fernando Alonso will start from the furthest back in a race this year and will need to get out of his way to get something out of this race. His main concern will be to keep pace with Schumacher and prevent him from closing the gap in this year’s title race.
Qualifying result at Hockenheim:
1.Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) McLaren – Mercedes one minute 14.070 seconds
2. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Ferrari 1:14.205
3. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:14.569
4. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:14.862
5. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Renault 1: 14.894
6. Rubens Barrichello (Fast) Honda 1: 14.934
7. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:15.282
8. Ralf Schumacher (GER) Toyota 1: 15.923
9. Pedro de la Rosa (Spa) McLaren-Mercedes 1:15.936
10. David Coulthard (GB) RedBull-Ferrari 1:16.326
11. Mark Webber (Aus) Williams-Cosworth 1:15.094
12. Christian Customer (Aut) RedBull-Ferrari 1:15.141
13. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1: 15.150
14. Jacques Villeneuve (Can) BMW Sauber 1: 15.329
15. Nico Rosberg (GER) Williams-Cosworth 1:15.380
16. Nick Heidfeld (GER) BMW Sauber 1: 15.397
17. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:16.399
18. Christijan Albers (Ned) Midland-Toyota 1:17.093
19. Takuma Sato (Jpn) Super Aguri-Honda 1:17.185
20. Tiago Monteiro (by) Midland-Toyota 1:17,836
21. Sakon Yamamoto (Jpn) Super Aguri-Honda 1:20.444
22. Scott Speed (US) Toro Rosso-Cosworth
(Source: Qualification Table: BBC World Wide)